Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A wet day in Riga

Luckily the hotel is close to the main River Daugava that flows thru Riga, I managed to get a 11km run in before the rain came and pretty well has been raining all day.

After having breakfast at the hotel (all included) I went and have a look at the Latvian War Museum, I was mainly interested in seeing the displays for the occupation of Latvia by the Russians from 1945 to 1991. What I found interesting in that I think there were quite a few local Latvians that were happy to be taken over. Plus the Russians seem to settle quite a few of their own into Latvia. That might explain the higher percentage of Russians about 20% in Latvia as opposed to Lithuania which has about 6% Russian, in Lithuania they have a more alliance to Poland than Russia. There was also a good display of the Latvian soldiers stationed in Afghanistan.

In the afternoon I went and had a look at one the new flash Shopping Malls in the City, they actually put most of Australian omes to shame. I scouted out the local cinema that I would go back and watch a Bruce Willis movie at 5.45PM which I did, it was set in Spain with the CIA and Massad going head to head.

After the movie I went and ate at a local Latvian Cuisine Restaurant, I had creme pea and bacon soup and a pork stew with a dark beer to wash it all down, I was the only one  there, very quiet on Mondays when it is raining.

Here is the Latvian Restaurant -:



1 comment:

Carolyne said...

Great report Rog, I am especially delighted to hear about the local cuisine and the photo of the restaurant!