Friday, April 20, 2012

Reflections on Latvia and Riga

I know it would be a narrow view of Latvians from just visiting Riga, it would be like critiquing Australians from just visiting Sydney.

 Found that a lot less of people in Riga understood English from what I found in Vilnius, whereas there every person I came across spoke English, but in Riga I was very surprised, considering it is the main city of Latvia, I can understand the level being lower in the country but not the capital, I am just wondering if that is the Russian influence, there were a few Russian TV channels at the hotel, plus a version of Masterchef or something like that. Riga didn't seem to have the young population that was in Vilnius, I get the feeling that Lithuania is progressing more in the modern world than Lithuania, but Riga did have quite a few flash shops and a startling Mall, I noticed everywhere the car dealerships including Audi, BMW, Mercedes, so there is plenty of money here.

Smoking, it is just terrible in the Baltic area, cheap cigs, everywhere you go, I would love to know the Lung cancer rate in the Baltic region, all of the East would be a good start.

I would recommend going thru the Baltic region anytime, a good value for money trip.

Here are some more pics of Riga.




No comments: