Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A visit to the Baltic sea and beach

I kept seeing a place called Jurmala in the guide books and maps, so I googled it and it was like Rigas Bondi, its the coastal area by the Baltic sea (20kms from Riga), I caught a train there, took me a little while at the station to work it which train, but soon had my ticket(.75 Lat which is about $1.40), there are about 1 Lat to 2 Aussie dollars.

When I got there it wasn't exactly beach weather, a bit cool, I walked about 600 metres down to the Beach from the Train, I did my token walk along the beach, just touched the water a little, it was freezing, the area definitely is not Surfers but I can see how busy it would get in mid Summer.
I wandered around the town area, had a look at a few shops, I stopped off for a coffee, the Lattes were about a dollar, I asked lady if she bigger cups, I don't think she understood me, so I just bought 2 and then hopped back on that train and went back to Riga.

Here is the biggest high rise Hotel in the area, it looks like it has seen better days and the Baltic sea and beach..



After the Train ride I went to Riga market, it was selling mainly clothes and food - vegies and fruit, meats, breads, cakes and cheese, you wouldn't starve there.

Here is a photo of the vegies for sale, Bob you will be happy, plus a pic of a Latvian Seagull at the markets, they obviously feed him well or he is on steroids, see the size against the pigeons.




No comments: