Thursday, April 26, 2012

Helsinki for a couple days

It was good to get back to Helsinki, it has been my home away from home, this was my third time here while I have been away. I couldn't get into the previous hotel that I was in previous, I had to stay in the Holiday Inn which was also close to the main railway station. On tuesday morning I went to a cafe/bakery that I had read about on Tripadvisor for having a great breakfast buffet for 9.50 Euro, it was fantastic, it included Breads, cereals, fruit juice, coffee, everything so fresh, I was very impressed, it saved me having lunch. Then in the afternoon I went to visit Helsinki's Olympic stadium used in 1952, I had visited there back in 1992 when I was here for one day. First up I had a look at the Finnish National Sports Museum (which is in the same complex), which had displays from the 1952 Olympics and other Olympics that Finland had competed at, plus all their National sports heros from different sports, like Ice Hockey, Car racing, skiing, atheltics etc. Then I went up the Olympic Tower which overlooks the main stadium, I am guessing that the Caldron was on the top this with the Flame. I took some good shots on the stadium plus quite a few of the views of the City. Yesterday (wednesday) I walked around the lovely Helsinki Harbour, it is one the best Harbours that has been integrated with the city, it blends in so well, it really makes the city. Last night I went to a Restaraunt that was also listed as excellent in Tripadvisor, it offered a buffet for 18 Euro (about $25) of Finnish food, it included Reindeer meat, Moose meat balls, Lamb, Salmon, I was very full at the end, I highly recommend this place for anybody that comes to Helsinki. Today I am checking out of my hotel at midday and then I fly out of Helsinki about Midnight and then head to Sydney via a 4 hour stopover in Hong Kong and should land in Sydney about 7.30am and then a Bus back to Canberra. I have been trying to upload some pictures for this Blog and do spell check, for some reason it is not working, I will try later to fix that.

2 comments:

Carolyne said...

Great to hear about the buffet Roger - it sounds like great value by any standards, let alone Finland where I understand that that food and grog is prohibitively expensive.

Drink lots of water, and I look forward to seeing you soon

BlueRaider said...

Do we see you at vets on Sunday? Sounds as though you need to shed a few Finishkilos!