Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Another day in Heksinki

Yesterday I did a wander around the city, I went up and have a look at the Church in the rock, I saw this nearly 20 years ago when I was on a Contiki trip, the church has been formed around a rock wall, it is quite incredible to see, I have included a panorama picture of it, but it doesn't do it justice.

After that when I walked down to the harbour I ran into Bill & Heather Carr (they were in Jyvaskyla for the Indoors) they were in Helsinki for another day as well before they fly off to Norway, which is a country that I still on my list to visit.

After seeing them I caught a ferry (15 minute ride) out to the Island Suomenlinna, which was a sea fortress protecting Helsinki, it has soldiers based from the 1800's to 1973, now it is a historical park as well people live there, it is really 2-3 islands linked by bridges, it takes you about an hour and a half to wander over the whole Island, it looks a place better to visit over the summer period when more of the Galleries and shops are open.

This morning I did a 7k run around the harbour, it hasn't been as cold but the wind has picked up and made the wind chill a bit nippy.

Today I get a Finnair flight to Vilnius.

Here is the inside of the Church.


1 comment:

Flabmeister said...

Very nice image Roger. Sounds like Helsinki is well worth a visit.