Monday, August 13, 2012

London Olympic Mens Marathon and thoughts

This morning I went out to watch the Mens Olympic Marathon, as I did with the Womens Marathon I went out to the Turn around point of the 12.5km loop close to the Tower of London, in total the race consists on a 4.5km loop and then 3 loops of 12.5kms. The race was starting at 11am and they would get to the turnaround at about 32-34 minutes. I managed to find a concrete block that was holding up a side fence close to the turnaround point, so I had a view of the runners coming down to the turnaround and going away. On the first lap, there was already a runner from Brazil that had broken away about 200 metres from the leading pack of about 10-15unners, Jeff Hunt was the first Australian runner I saw, I think Michael Shelley had already snuck around, Marty Dent came around about 2-3 minutes from the leader, By the 2nd lap the pack had broken up and there was only small packs of 3-4 runners. Michael Shelley and Marty were running well, still well down from the leaders in about 50th and 60th place and Jeff Hunt looked like he was starting to struggle, By the 3rd lap there was a lead group of 3, a Ungandan and 2 from Kenya. I saw Michael and Marty come thru about 6 and 8 minutes from the leaders, but both looked strong, I then headed back to the Hotel which was only about a km away, I wanted to see the finish of the Marathon on TV, by that stage (1km to go) the guy from Uganda had broken away from the 2 Kenyans, there first Gold Medal since 1972, Michael finished in 16th in 2.14 and Marty 28th in 2.16 which were fantastic runs, Jeff Hunt finished in about 60-70th in 2.23, which was a great run considering how bad he looked half way thru. In the afternoon I watched some of the Mens Volleyball final, then watched the USA Mens Basketball team hold off a determined Spain 106 to 100, a really gutsy effort. At the moment I am watching the Closing Ceremony, which has never really been a big hit with me. The London Olympics had been very good in a lot of aspects, Venues, Transport, but it was very spoilt by the Ticket Fiasco, the biased coverage by BBC, plus it seemed like that the Olympics was put on for the Athletes and the British public, but the Foreign visitors were sort of forgotten about, speaking about Tickets, the Australian Olympic Committee has to look at its contract with Cosports who seems to horad all the good tickets and releases them with their hugely expensive hospitality packages and makes it hard to get Team sport tickets because you never know until the last minute which session they are playing in, but AOC wont do anything. Hopefully tickets will be better in RIO, I am sure of that.

No comments: