Friday, February 26, 2010

Its Hockey time

I had a great day today, I got up early and headed out at about 6.45am for a run, I did the same circuit as yesterday but a bit more efficient today(didn't get lost), there had been a bit of rain overnite, but while there was water lying around I didn't get rained on other a couple of spots in the last couple of kms, I end up running about 10kms, I am trying to build up a bit of abase before next weeks events.

I then drove up to Vancouver, plans today were to get a ticket to the Women's Ice Hockey bronze medal playoff match between Sweden & Finland. Went thru the border again, had the usual 20 questions, no waiting time at all, staying in the USA and driving up was the best move I maid, saved money & time. I parked the car at the same park & ride and then caught the bus to the train station and caught the train into the city area.There were already guys outside the train station selling tickets, so I knew I wouldn't have any problems getting a ticket.

I first had the Tim Hortons breakfast, Xlarge coffee, muffin and a donut, they are a supped up Starbucks with Donuts, Muffins, Cookies and Sandwiches, plus they are a lot better, if you watch any Canadian shows, you will see the people carrying around Tim Hortons coffee cups.



I headed to the Canada Hockey Place, a guy offered me a $200 ticket for a $100, I told him that the guys at the Train Station are selling for $80 and he let me have it for that price, I might have been able to get him down to $60-70 but I got a very good deal.

The match was great, I was very impressed by the standard of women's hockey, with my boarder (Ari) having a Finish heritage I was following them, they looked really strong early, the game is made up of 3 20 minute period, but it was nil all after 1, then the Fins took control but were only 2-1 up after 2, the Swedes only took 2 shots and scored once, whereas the Fins had 8 shots. The Swedes came back in the last period to level at 2 all, Fins were getting heaps of penalties, and sometimes they had players in the Sin bin for 2 minutes, and the Swedes scored both times when there was 5 on 4. The game went to Overtime and then the Fins scored the golden goal and won the Bronze medal, what was interesting after they scored and there gloves and everything was tossed in the air and wild celebrations, a Swedish player pointed to her foot to the Referee, they showed a replay on the big scoreboard, it did look like that the Finish goal was scored off a foot rather than her stick, too late now.


Got back to Bellingham around 3.30pm, at least the day wasn't as long as tuesday, I then went for another run, but this time I took my camera in my bum bag, I wanted to take a few shots of the places I saw as I ran round, there was a nice rustique town area, the running paths over the water, they looked liek they were old wharfs rebuilt to run along and then join up with paths along the bay, tomorrow I will head back to Canada but this time for about 11-12 days, I will get the usual questions at the border, I won't get all the way to Kamloops, I will stop about halfway there.

4 comments:

Flabmeister said...

Roger

On Aust. TV someone made the comment that if both sides are close to competent the best goalie wins. The one 1991 NHL game we saw the Leafs were not competent but had a brilliant goalie who saved 40 shots but let 2 in. The Flames goalie only saved 8 shots but he only let 1 n.

I am sure you will go up the Fraser Canyon road to get to Kamloops. Try to stop at Hells Gate rapids. I have seen film of them and they look spectactular, although I expect the river won't be high at this time of year. It is one of my great regrets that we didn't have time t stop in 1981 when we drove past, but we id Lake Louise to Vancouver in a day and werejust too tired.

Marti

speedygeoff said...

Crows 0.1 Pies 0.0 so far. Walker misses set shot. Injuries means some Crows forwards not playing. I am following live coverage on AFC.COM.AU. Different!

speedygeoff said...

Makeshift forward line; 32 apiece; Douglas and Petrenko playing well...

speedygeoff said...

...and we went down in the end, the Crows youngsters couldn't quite keep up the intensity in the second half.